Monday, December 15, 2008

Global Warming, the monster hiding under your bed.

So I wake up and hear the snow plows going by my house, I am putting off shoveling my sidewalk to write this blog. Soon it seems, from a news article I just read, I won’t have to shovel anymore, which is great.

“Obama left with little time to curb global warming” By Seth Borenstien, from the AP. I thought, come on I can see ice hanging off the roof, what kind of joke is this as I read this title this freezing morning. The other thing I wondered is why my word program isn’t trying to tell me I misspelled Borenstien, why would that name be recognized but I’ve typed and saved mine to the dictionary a hundred times and it still gets the squiggly red underline.

But back to the story. Here is an exert.
“Mother Nature, of course, is oblivious to the federal government's machinations. Ironically, 2008 is on pace to be a slightly cooler year in a steadily rising temperature trend line. Experts say it's thanks to a La Nina weather variation. While skeptics are already using it as evidence of some kind of cooling trend, it actually illustrates how fast the world is warming.
The average global temperature in 2008 is likely to wind up slightly under 57.9 degrees Fahrenheit, about a tenth of a degree cooler than last year. When Clinton was inaugurated, 57.9 easily would have been the warmest year on record. Now, that temperature would qualify as the ninth warmest year.”


What?

La Nina, I remember La Nina, and the news telling me it wouldn’t affect temperatures just precipitation. Also since it is colder this proves how fast it is really getting hotter? Well I’ll just put a camel in a freezer and tell him don’t worry the ice on your nose means soon this freezer will 130 degrees.

I also went and did some fact checking, recently (cough cough) our measurement tools for tracking temperatures haven’t been placed so well. One was over black top, one three foot from an air-conditioned vent that rushes hot air out of homes. Back to that in a minute. So I can’t really say with all confidence I trust the recent records, and the fact that the 1930s, anyone remember the dust bowl from history, that year was pretty freaking hot itself.

But anyway. Poor ole Obama just doesn’t have enough time to fix global warming it is too far gone to fix now. Aw shucks. So far in my life 1. Green house gasses were blocking out the suns rays meaning we would have a ice age. 2. The ozone hole which we made, but wait we found it . . . Did we find it or make it? Whatever lets blame us, we made was going to expand and kill us all. 3. Green house gasses are now acting as a blanket and trapping heat so we will all cook. Throw on top of these things a major earthquake down the Mississippi river line that had us doing earthquake drills in elementary, and the fact that yellow stone was gong to erupt while I was in middle school and kill us all(neither of these happened by the way for you history impaired), and wonder why I maybe suspicious of the new on coming doom named Global warming..

So I guess we are warming like we’ve never warmed before. Or wait are we?
http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/Chylek/greenland_warming.html
“We provide an analysis of Greenland temperature records to compare the current (1995-2005) warming period with the previous (1920-1930) Greenland warming. We find that the current Greenland warming is not unprecedented in recent Greenland history. Temperature increases in the two warming periods are of a similar magnitude, however, the rate of warming in 1920-1930 was about 50% higher than that in 1995 - 2005.”

No way Greenland is North you know, up by Canada. Close to where all the ice is melting, and
polar bears are drowning. Hmm.

“No global warming proof” By Charles Battig
“The largest increases in global temperature had already taken place before 1940, . . ., with 1934 as the warmest year of recent history, according to corrected NASA records.”
Another interesting tid bit of information. At least my word program thinks Battig is spelled wrong, or I was going to be more worried about what weird Microsoft conspiracies could be going on. And see I remember elementary school, kind of, talking about the 20s and 30s being hot and dry.

But no matter what information I bring, like the fact England used to have a booming mass wine business, but don’t any more. Why you ask? You really want to know? Well geez I better tell you, once it was warm enough to grow grapes, in the great times of castles and dragons, then it became cold and is too cold to grow grapes in England for the mass production of wine anymore. Hmm. Maybe in the day the dragons emitted enough pollutants to raise the temperature, but now we only have these SUVs that aren’t as efficient polluters as dragons. Time for some genetic experiments, a dragon what is that, a cross between a crocodile and eagle?

Oh yeah, remember a few paragraphs ago when I talked about air conditioners, and that one tool for measuring temperatures was placed about three foot away from a hot air vent? I wonder if these scientist ever took into consideration air conditioning.

Come on this seems viable to me. Ok ok, lets compare. Power plants and such take in river water and use it too cool their machinery, ect, then they dump it back out into the river a few degrees warmer than it came in, this increases the water temperature and the ecosystem changes or suffers to deal with this heated water. Now the world is getting more and more developed and more people and places have air conditioners. What do our air conditioners do? They suck in air, push super charged cool air into your house, and pump hot air outside. Maybe that is the cause for global warming, I Think that is as viable as co2.

Obviously people are interested in Global warming, there are two books, NY Times best sellers, Gores’ which you all know, and "Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1,500
Years.“ By Dennis Avery.

But another thing I find interesting is that Gore doesn’t , err umm, won’t debate.
"Maybe it's because climate alarmists tend to lose when they
debate climate realists. Or because most scientists do not support
climate alarmism." Joseph Bast, president of The Heartland Institute

So whatever your view I’m cold, and it is cold outside. I was promised warming and haven’t seen it yet. But these aren’t new views for me, here is an extra short blog I actually wrote a couple years ago. I polished it a little, many many mistakes, but hey that’s how my writing evolves.

-B-

Global Warming

Everyone is afraid of global warming, but that is not the biggest threat. Astronauts are the biggest threat . . . but why? Every year, if not the US then another country, sends someone into space. One necessity that supports human life is oxygen. Oxygen the astronauts use the oxygen to breath, and to run their "jet packs" to propel them in space. Most countries also dump used oxygen/CO2 out into space. Why is this a problem? Don't trees make oxygen?

They do from CO2. So if they are dumping our breathable atmosphere out into space it is like bailing out the ocean with five gallon buckets and tossing it in space, eventually you'll get it done. Trees will not have CO2 to convert and we will not have oxygen to breath. With all the future plans to build space stations and trips commercially being available we are starting a bailing process, soon we could use all our oxygen!

Yeah I know this is unlikely, but this how I view global warming. 1/2 a degree Celsius, the ocean rising 7 inches this century, when on average it rises 8 inches, other planets in our solar system warming up just like ours, could the problem be the solar flares instead of us? Could it be our faulting magnetic field, why does it have to be us and our carbon foot prints? How about the fact the earth's tilt changes, the jet stream moves, the sun is ever changing???

No. We little humans can control the weather now, well I'd like some global warming during the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments . . .